The Brattle Organ, located in the South Gallery is the oldest operative pipe organ in the United States. It was imported from England before 1708. It was given to King's Chapel in Boston by Thomas Brattle, treasurer of Harvard College, where it was used for forty years. Later it was acquired by St. Paul's church in Newburyport, Massachusetts, where it was used for eighty years. St. John's Church purchased it in 1836 for use in a new chapel on State Street (now demolished). This organ was renovated in 1963 and subsequently used for a concert at a service of thanksgiving in 1965.